Getting Documentation

GNIB certificate and stamp 4

Obtain a Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) certificate of registration and stamp 4. This stamp allows you to work and claim social welfare benefits. Click here for  full information on the Irish immigration system.

Travel documents

People with refugee status are entitled to a United Nations refugee travel document. See “Travel documents for people with refugee or subsidiary protection status” on the Citizens Information website.

Be aware that the UN refugee travel document is the equivalent of a home country, rather than a European Union, passport. You may still be required to obtain a visa for any travel to other EU countries.

Irish citizenship

If you have refugee status you can apply for Irish citizenship after three years residence. We recommend that you do this as soon as possible; it makes life very much easier.