New Horizon is a community group which has been working with international protection applicants in Athlone since 2000. Our main focus is on almost 350 residents in Direct Provison sites in Athlone and Horseleap, Moate.
New Horizon is a fully registered charity RCN: 20204649. Check us out on the Charity Regulator Website
We are a group of voluntary, unpaid workers without state funding. We promise total and absolute confidentiality in all our dealings with clients.
As activists, we welcome asylum seekers and refugees and wish to help and support them as they start to rebuild their lives.
This website exists to:
- Provide useful information about living in Athlone and Ireland.
- Provide information on how to maintain your physical and mental health
- Provide information to help you navigate the asylum process.
- Provide useful information to help you leave the asylum process.
If you just want to browse the information follow the links at the top of the screen.
- Activity Feed shows what’s going on
- Projects we are running
- Information database
- Cookbook – the taste of home
Additional services, such as groups and forums, are available to registered users.
If you would like to go further just register here.
Then log in with the ID and password you created.
Activities at New Horizon
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)Protection Applicants who received their status during a course of study can now apply for BTEA and the Daily Allowance is included in the required…
- Vaccination CampaignThere have been several outbreaks of COVID-19 in direct provision centres over the past year. The Health Service Executive are now working to ensure that…
- Extension of Immigration Permissions26 March 2021 The Minister for Justice, Helen McEntee, T.D., has today announced a further temporary extension of immigration and international protection permissions to 20…
- Don’t forget to collect your Easter Eggs!Don’t forget to drop into the shop to collect easter eggs! With best wishes from all the New Horizon gang!
- Drop in for a ChatAre you free for half an hour on Tuesday evenings? We are restarting our regular drop in clinics, this time online. Drop in for a…
- A Guide to the International Protection ProcedureUnited Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) have just published a guide to the International Protection Procedure in Ireland. It’s available in the following 20…