Social Welfare – Test

When you are granted refugee or subsidiary protection status or permission to remain, you should apply for any social welfare payments for which you are eligible. You will satisfy the habitual residence condition, but you will have to meet other conditions. Your local social welfare office or Intreo centre will help you to apply for the correct payment for your situation.

For example:

  • If you are able to work but are unemployed, you may get Jobseeker’s Allowance. See Citizen’s Information checklist for unemployed people which has links to information about services and entitlements for unemployed people.
  • If you are unable to work due to disability or illness, you can apply for Disability Allowance. See Citizen’s Information checklist of the main services and entitlements for people with disabilities.
  • If you are the parent or guardian of a child you can apply for Child Benefit. If you need childcare, you can view See Citizen’s Information childcare checklist.
  • If you are parenting alone you can apply for One-Parent Family Payment. You can find out more in See Citizen’s Information checklist on the main services and entitlements for people parenting alone.