New Horizon and Shannon Academy would like to invite you to celebrate St. Patrick’s day with us. Come to the parade in Athlone on Saturday 16th March!
Free bus as follows:
- 10:30 Temple Accommodation Unit
- 11:15 Athlone Accommodation Unit
The parade is great fun with music and all sorts of exhibitions.
Bus returns after the parade.
- Traditional dress (if you have it!)
- Comfortable shoes
- Rain gear and warm clothes (It has been known to rain on St. Patrick’s Day!)
- Push chairs or prams if necessary
Did you know you can vote in local elections?
In May 2019 there will be local elections across Ireland to elect public representatives to City and County Councils. Every resident in Ireland regardless of their nationality can vote in the local elections.
Information and voter registration sessions will be held on Tuesday 12th March as follows:
- 10:30 Community Hall Athlone Accommodation Unit
- 13:30 Meeting room Temple Accommodation Unit
In May 2019 there will be local elections across Ireland to elect public representatives to City and County Councils.
Every resident in Ireland regardless of their nationality can vote in the local elections in May. Also every resident in Ireland regardless of their nationality can run as a candidate in the local elections in May.
However in order to be eligible to vote your name needs to be added to the electoral register. Are you registered? See Check the register
See the Immigrant Council of Ireland’s “Register, Vote, Run” campaign.
Second hand book sale in AIT , main reception on Tuesday, March 12.
From 10 am to 2 pm .
This is to raise money for the kids party next xmas.
If you have books to donate that would be great. Also could do with some helpers on the day.
The Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission has a mandate to provide a separate independent report on how Ireland is doing. We know that racial
discrimination affects young people in particular ways. We want to include
your perspectives, insights and recommendations in the Commission’s report to the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
On March 30th we want to hear from you on how we can build greater
intercultural understanding in Ireland, drawing on young people’s personal
If you’re aged 16-24 and would like to contribute to this event, please
register on Eventbrite here
Travel costs for participants will be covered.
When registering please feel free to let us know if you have any special
requirements, for example, dietary, accessibility, ISL interpretation.
This will help us in our preparations for the event.
DATE 10am to 4.30pm
Saturday 30th March 2019
VENUE The Gresham Hotel,
O’Connell Street Upper,
Rural Youth Clubs Co-ordinator.
Youth Work Ireland (YWI) Midlands,
1st & 2nd Floor 17-18 Inis Oir, Golden Island, Athlone. N37 E2K7
T: 090 6477075 M: 086 3294763
The Electricity Supply Board (ESB) have started their apprentice recruitment program.
Get the experience, the skills and the world class qualifications you need to succeed as an Electrician/Network Technician.
- 4 year paid programme
- Class room based learning combined with practical experience
- Operate in a team environment
- Combines college and on job training
- Work indoors and outdoors
- Internationally recognised qualification QQI advanced level 6 Electrical trade certificate
Candidates need to be 16 years of age on June 1st, 2019
Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT) and NISO have kindly offered us some places on their Safety, Health and Welfare at Work courses.
Understand the scope of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 and the requirements of the 2007 General Application Regulations
Understand the various occupational hazards and risks that can occur in the
Complete a risk assessment.
- 13 weeks, one day per week
- First course starts Monday 4th February 19:00 to 21:00
- Second course starts September 2019
- Two free places are offered to residents in Lissywollen or Temple DP sites on each course
- Full course details are in the attached leaflet 2018_11_23_NISO_Cert_Bro_AIT_Spr_2019_A4
- Interviews will be held next Thursday, Jan 31 at 11 am in AIT
- If you are interested please contact
Dr Seán Reidy
Department of Life and Physical Sciences
T: 090 647 1842 M: 087 297 4505
Have you received permission to work while your asylum application is being processed? If so you might be interested in this opportunity.
Center Parcs are opening their new facility in Ballymahon later this year.
Their housekeeping department is currently recruiting 400 people to work on the public areas of the park, health and safety audits, linen and laundry and accommodation housekeeping.
The roles are mainly part-time; Mondays and Fridays from 10:00 am to 2:45 pm. The company will provide a free transport service from various locations in the midlands.
Information sessions will be held in the following locations:
- Athlone – 15/2/2019 – 10:00 to 13:00
- Kilbeggan – 15/2/2019 – 14:00 to 17:00
To register to attend these information sessions please contact Athlone Jobs Club on:
- Phone : 090 6494806
- Mobile : 087 0926300
- email : email@example.com
New Horizon has a few objectives:
- To Welcome those who seek shelter with us
- To Help them rebuild their lives
- To Celebrate the riches the newcomers bring
We have just produced a leaflet showing in a bit more detail what New Horizon does.
One important point to make is:
Our volunteer work is for the people on both DP sites.
We do NOT work for:
- Department of Justice
- Reception and Integration Agency (RIA)
- Site management companies
Paper copies will be distributed in Athlone and Temple DP sites over the next few days.